Friday, August 13, 2010

The First Dentist Visit

Gavin had his first visit with the dentist last week. We were blown away by how well he handled the entire appointment.


P8060547 edited
Here we are getting ready to walk into the office. I thought we’d meet some resistance walking up but he didn’t make any kind of fuss.

P8060550
I told him how comfy the chair is to sit in. He seemed to have some reservation at this point but climbed up on his own.

P8060551
The hygienist turned on some cartoons for Gavin. He was rather excited to learn he could watch TV the whole time. Phineas and Ferb was on Disney and he’s not allowed to watch that yet so she put on Garfield.

P8060552
All smiles so far!

P8060553
He wasn’t exactly upset about the napkin but it didn’t thrill him much either. We convinced him he needed it to keep his shirt clean and he finally let it lay.

P8060555
The hygienist got her “tooth checker” out and started counting teeth. While counting she did a little cleaning as well. Gavin just watched Garfield and didn’t mind the cleaning.

P8060556
Little Miss Abby relaxed in her car seat chewing on her rings. If you have something that you don’t want to have chewed up by this voracious chewer, keep it out of arms reach of her. She’s similar to having a Labrador pup again the way she chews on everything. Just without the destructive results. Unless of course you consider something being covered in slobber destructive.

P8060558
Gavin chose chocolate cake flavored paste for his tooth polish. Yummy!

P8060559
He had his teeth flossed for the first time. I suppose we were supposed to be doing this at home but I’d never thought to take on the task of trying to floss the teeth of my three year old. I can barely get him to help pick up toys let alone open his mouth so I can floss his teeth. He did very well and as you can see from the last two pictures he didn’t even have to stare at the cartoons and remain distracted for the hygienist to do this work.

P8060560
The dentist came in wearing his OSU scrubs. Gavin is of course a Buckeye fan.

P8060561
I think this is where the hygienist was using “Mr. Thirsty,” the suction instrument, during Gavin’s fluoride treatment. Gavin had a raspberry flavored treatment. Raspberry and chocolate…yummy!

After he was all finished he hopped off the chair. He picked out a Cars toothbrush, got his toothpaste and floss put into a treat bag. Then he picked a prize from the prize basket. He was such a good boy. Brandon and I were so excited at how well behaved and cooperative he was.

P8060563 edited
Gavin and his clean pearly whites after the visit!

No comments: