Sunday, April 21, 2013

Soccer and Farming


Gavin had his first soccer game of the season a couple weeks ago.  It was also his only soccer game so far this season because the fields have been too wet to play the last two weeks.  His coach this year actually has practice in the middle of the week where last year they practiced before the game and that was it.  Once they can play games every week he will be getting more exposure this year than he did last year but it’s made the schedule just a bit crazier. 

DSC_9982
The team did some drills to warm up before the game.

DSC_9989

DSC_9995
Game on!  There goes our #33!

DSC_0012
The day started out warm.  Of course at game time it got windy which led to quite a chill.  Abby refused to wear her jacket.  She preferred to be covered in her jacket instead.  Every time I put her jacket on, she took it back off.   

DSC_0013
I had to wake her up from a nap to get her to the game.  She decided to curl up in the chair and I covered her with her and Gavin’s jackets.  She was a bit cantankerous.  In fact, I had to chase her on multiple occasions because she’d take off running somewhere when she was displeased by some insignificant event.

DSC_0040
I was proud of him for getting his feet on the ball more during this game than he probably did all of last season.  He kept running the entire game.  

DSC_0060
We’re getting to the end of the game here.  Although Gavin gave a solid effort the whole time there were a few times at the end where he was tuning out a bit.

DSC_0070
Little Miss yelled from the sidelines a few times.  It was rather amusing.

The team worked hard and although defeated, they were pleased with their own efforts.  I don’t know that Gavin even realized that they lost.  He fancies himself quite the soccer star.  I suppose having confidence and getting more involved in the game this year is better than the social event soccer was last year. 

Gavin took his first field trip a couple weeks ago.  The class went to Stratford Farm.  Everything on the farm serves a purpose and if it doesn’t it gets sent away.  They had a cow that wasn’t producing milk anymore so they sent her off for butchering.  It was nice of our guide to share that with five and six year olds.  This particular day was a rainy April day.  It had been raining the day before as well so the ground was sufficiently muddy. 

DSCN7749
We started off across a field headed for the woods and a swamp.  The kids stopped when they found a bunch of worms. 

DSCN7760
We hiked through the slop until we got to the swamp. 

DSCN7765
The kids found a frog and they took turns holding it. 

DSCN7776

DSCN7785
This goat hopped up here while we were in the pen petting the goats and llamas.

DSCN7798
The cows wandered over to say hello to the kids.

DSCN7826
We went in the chicken pen and fed the chickens.  A couple of the kids were even able to catch and hold chickens. 

Gavin had a great day and I was glad I was able to go and share his first field trip with him!

I hope everyone has had a peaceful weekend after the rather traumatic week the US has endured.

No comments: